Reading Time: < 1 minute
- The Furosemide Stress Test identifies oliguric patients presumed to have ATN that will require Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT)
- Furosemide naïve: 1mg/kg
- Furosemide tolerant: 1.5 mg/kg
- UOP < 200cc over 2 hours is highly predictive of AKIN stage III AKI, mortality and need for RRT
- UOP > 200 cc over 2 hours demonstrates relatively intact glomerular and tubular function.
- Ensure euvolemia
- The response may point towards a pre-renal state but further evaluation with ultrasound can be helpful to determine if this is congestive versus a hypovolemic state. The management is very different!
- Chawla, L et al Development and standardization of a furosemide stress test to predict the severity of acute kidney injury. Crit Care. 2013 Sep 20;17(5)