Reading Time: < 1 minute
- Watch the video for all the tips on how to troubleshoot central lines
- Depending on the depth at which the wire gets stuck, there are different ways to troubleshoot when the wire doesn’t pass
- Consider the following techniques (based on where the wire gets stuck):
- 2-10cm: remove the wire and needle and clear the needle of clots
- 8-10cm: needle may have accidentally backwalled the vessel or come out of the vessel. Remove the wire, attach the syringe again and re-enter the center of the vessel.
- 10-15cm: drop your angle, rotate your wire 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise
- 15-25cm: pull back your wire and rotate slightly before advancing again (wire may get stuck at the IVC/subclavian junction)
- NEVER PUSH THROUGH RESISTANCE!